9.5.11

MuseScore for bootstrap template creation

For the purposes of bootstrap template creation, MuseScore is pretty cool. With the consideration of staff lines, it would be maddening to search the internet for music sheets to create a comprehensive starting template set. A good suggestion from a previous session was the idea of creating sheet music myself to generate the desired templates: notes in various places in the staff, under even obscure circumstances.

I created a toy sheet of music and placed notes, rests in various places: low and high in the staff, to accommodate all the possible places symbols can be found in a sheet of music. The resulting template set was not exhaustive, but will do for now, as it contains the most common notes, rests, and clefs.

After a quick slice and dice on Photoshop, involving some heavy eyeballing, I boxed out the templates, making the box sizes as small as I possibly could.

I tried to make the template sizes consistent among symbol types, quarter notes and half notes being 32 x 22. However, there is more variety of sizes within our rest symbols. As you can see, a quarter rest (24 x 60 in the set) is larger than a eighth rest (22 x 40)

A problem I foresee with our set right now is that at least with handwritten scores, ignoring the stems (which I did for quarter and half note templates), half notes can look very much like whole notes. I left a little bit of the stem in the templates, but it might not be enough.

This bootstrap set is by no means final; I foresee a lot of resizing in the future. It depends on how our template matching algorithm goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment